[Athen] 32-bit voices on a 64-bit system?

Robert Beach rbeach at KCKCC.EDU
Wed Feb 6 17:35:26 PST 2013

You know my answer to everything, eat a brownie. Maybe even feed one to the computer. <big grin> Sorry, but that's the best I can tell you. I'm using some 32-bit voices on this 64-bit machine and I didn't have any problems getting them installed or working. My voices are the Nio Speak voices though, not AT&T. I haven't tried installing those yet.

Later!

From: athen-list-bounces at mailman1.u.washington.edu [athen-list-bounces at mailman1.u.washington.edu] on behalf of Heidi Scher [hascherdss at gmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, February 06, 2013 5:28 PM
To: Access Technology Higher Education Network
Subject: Re: [Athen] 32-bit voices on a 64-bit system?

Thanks, Sean! I did find that same article. The catch is in #4 - IF you have 32 bit voices installed. But Win 7 keeps stopping me on the install. Our production machines have the dedicated voices, but I use my computer when I'm talking with students and showing demos. So I like to have the two voices we use in production for them to hear.

Oh, technology! Can be a pain, but we can't (or definitely don't want to) live without it!!

Thanks!!

Heidi

+++++++++++++++
Heidi Scher, M.S., CRC
Associate Director
Center for Educational Access
University of Arkansas
ARKU 104
Fayetteville, AR 72701
479.575.3104
479.575.7445 fax
479.575.3646 tdd

On Wed, Feb 6, 2013 at 4:47 PM, Sean J Keegan <skeegan at stanford.edu<mailto:skeegan at stanford.edu>> wrote:

> I've recently 'upgraded' my computer from Win XP to Win 7 64 bit.

> Unfortunately, I can't get the AT&T Mike & Crystal voices to run on

> the new machine. Any ideas out there on getting Win 7 to accept Mike & Crystal?

I ran across the following article at one time and it may be of use:
http://www.accessible-devices.com/ConvertingVoices.htm

It seems that you lose the settings when you restart the system, but it is one method to getting your voices working. In some respects, this is part of the reason why we implemented the SCRIBE tool as I could have a dedicated system with all the needed voices running and did not have to worry about compatibility issues.

Take care,
Sean