[Athen] Sensus Access?

Sean J Keegan skeegan at stanford.edu
Tue Feb 19 11:07:03 PST 2013

> Is anyone using SensusAccess for conversions to PDF?
> I’ve tried it and seems pretty good.

SensusAccess (or Robobraille) is the engine that we use under the hood
for our SCRIBE system. While we use Abbyy Finereader Corporate, the OCR
functionality provided by SensusAccess is the Abbyy Recognition Server.
It works great for the exact situation you describe - i.e., when a
student gets an image-only PDF document. Documents that are highly
structured or have multiple languages do not always convert well, but
overall, it gets the job done.

I believe the PDF output for the SensusAccess tool is set as a tagged
PDF document. It does not automatically add headings or image
descriptions, but at least the reading order can be controlled.

Take care,
Sean
--
Sean Keegan
Associate Director, Assistive Technology