[Athen] Production of EPUB 3 Content?

Sean J Keegan skeegan at stanford.edu
Thu Jan 31 16:08:20 PST 2013

> Just curious as to whether anyone is currently producing
> E-Text content in EPUB 3, or whether you have begun looking
> at how to do so in future?

Hi Al,

We have an ePub production process that was implemented when we
developed our SCRIBE tool (http://scribe.stanford.edu) that uses Calibre
as the conversion tool. It is *not* producing ePub 3 at this time,
although this is something that we are working on implementing sometime
before summer using a separate process. We did see a big jump last
quarter in the number of documents converted into the ePub format, but
that trend has not continued this quarter. Most of the conversions tend
to be into either PDF or MS Word.

We do have a workflow that will support the conversion of MS Word DOCX
documents into full-text/full-audio DAISY files that includes support
for math. We are expecting to be able to extend this workflow into
support for ePub 3 (including math). Unfortunately, as Ken pointed out,
there are limitations in the reading applications that are readily
available to support the ePub 3 format at this time and, as a result, we
are moving slowly towards our own implementation.

Take care,
Sean

--
Sean Keegan
Associate Director, Assistive Technology