[Athen] MathType/MathPlayer question

Sean J Keegan skeegan at stanford.edu
Thu Jan 31 16:52:16 PST 2013

> When he launches IE8, he gets a Microsoft message that he needs to
> upgrade or switch to Firefox or Chrome – it apparently won’t let
> him move forward and use the browser even to read our documents off-line.

Hi Teresa,

I am a bit surprised at the message as I cannot remember Microsoft ever
recommending a switch to FF or Chrome (not saying it didn't happen -
it's just a bit surprising). I know Google dropped support for IE 8
last year thus prompting many tech blogs to recommend the switch to
Firefox or Chrome, but it sounds like this is some kind of message
issued by the OS or IE that he needs to switch to a newer browser.

What version of MathPlayer is he using? IE 8 requires that you use
MathPlayer 2.2, whereas MathPlayer 3.0 requires IE 9 or above. Could
there be a compatibility issue with the version of MathPlayer and IE
that is throwing the error message?

Take care,
Sean
--
Sean Keegan
Associate Director, Assistive Technology