[Athen] Foreign language voices with Read/Write Gold 11

Sean Keegan skeegan at stanford.edu
Mon Jul 15 12:13:26 PDT 2013

Hi all,

I can confirm (from a TextHelp representative), that Read and Write Gold 11 does not support the automatic switching of language text-to-speech voices when reading an MS Word or HTML document. You can manually switch the voices provided you have the different language TTS engines installed. I know you can use other applications and include the appropriate language codes, but why is it that a $35 program can get it to work when a $645 program can't? In any case, it looks like the best option for language switching with RWG 11at this time is to use a DAISY book with full-text/full-audio (with the appropriate language TTS engines being used for the pre-recorded audio).

On the plus side, there is better support for Chrome and Firefox with improved speech highlighting. On the downside, this support only works if the HTML content is served from a web server. If you create a text-based web page (i.e., an HTML document) and it resides on the local computer, then Firefox and Chrome will not read the content. Only Internet Explorer supports reading of the document if the file is offline. A bit annoying.

I must say, though, that I do like the new icons and the ability to change the toolbar background. The previous icons were looking a bit dated and kid-based from a higher ed perspective. Thanks for the note, EA, about the magnification issue.

take care,
Sean

Sean Keegan
Associate Director, Assistive Technology
Office of Accessible Education - Stanford University