[Athen] small captioning service

Sean Keegan skeegan at stanford.edu
Mon Jul 15 13:18:56 PDT 2013

> I’m thinking about creating an extension to my alt format area

> that would caption short department made videos. I am looking at

> Movie Captioner software. Has anyone used this?

I have used Movie Captioner a number of times and it works well. It can be a bit finicky at times and it is important to save on a regular basis as I have had some projects lost, but it can import and export nearly any format that you would need to work with in a captioning environment.

One thing that I have found that works a bit better with Movie Captioner is to create a text transcript separately and then import the text into the application. Movie Captioner can then assist in breaking up the captions into the appropriate caption segments.

Something to be cautious about when setting up a captioning service on a campus - it is becoming so much easier to create a video and post it to a website that nearly anyone can do it. Unfortunately, captioning still has some technical requirements depending on the hosting service (Vimeo vs. YouTube), website media player, mobile device support, etc., that I have been finding more and more individuals who want me to "take care of everything" when I am handed a video to be captioned. While setting expectations early in the process has helped the conversations, it is a balancing act to providing support and yet limiting how much of the project I am expected to manage for the requestor.

Good luck!

Take care,
Sean