[Athen] Jaws & SPSS, Revisited

Patrick Burke burke at ucla.edu
Wed Jun 5 12:04:26 PDT 2013

Hi everyone,

My journey through some old ATHEN threads was not encouraging re SPSS
& accessibility, but I'd like to know if anyone has more current news.

We did a brief test this morning with Jaws 14 & SPSS 21 Beta. Jaws
features were enabled during install process (which now thankfully
takes the place of manually copying accessibility.properties files, etc.)

Result?: Jaws reads the menu bar, various dialog tabs, tree views of
variables from a dataset, all very nicely. (Result!)

However ... I couldn't get Jaws to read anything other than Title
from the SPSS Output Window. This window contains what appear
visually as simple data tables of numbers (the real meat, & purpose
for using SPSS in the first place, according to our stats expert
running the test with me). She reports they're also having a terrible
time exporting these output tables to HTML, so it sounds like a
systemic issue of how the data is displayed.

Has anyone had any better experience with recent SPSS Output data?
Does the option to export to Excel help at all? (We're about to try that...)

Thanks for any info (or data!),

Patrick
--
Patrick J. Burke