[Athen] Problems Using Kurzweil Read the Web with Canvas

Dan Comden danc at uw.edu
Tue Jun 11 11:08:13 PDT 2013

Hi Larry,

I'll chime in and say the culprit is as likely to be Canvas as it is to be
the AT. And many here know

There's information rendered by the Canvas LMS in fashions that are opaque
or difficult for various AT programs.

The last Canvas VPAT I read is not an accurate representation of its actual
accessibility at this time.

In this case the optimum solution is most likely to get the original source
file from the instructor and have the student work with that in a proctored
environment.

-*- Dan Comden

On Mon, Jun 10, 2013 at 8:10 AM, Larry Kiser <larry.kiser at sfcollege.edu>wrote:

> Dear Colleagues:

> Last week a student attempted to use the Kurzweil Read the Web feature

> during an exam delivered through Canvas. In this instance and during a

> follow-up diagnostic session with the student opening a practice quiz,

> Kurzweil Read the Web read information on the screen randomly and announced

> other information not readily viewable. During the exam the student was

> able to use a Kurzweil taskbar feature, but this was slow because it

> required the student to highlight questions with the pointer and drag it to

> the taskbar. I reviewed the VPAT for Canvas, which indicated it was

> compatible with screen readers. I emailed Kurzweil and received the

> following response.

> --

-*- Dan Comden danc at uw.edu <danc at washington.edu>
Access Technology Center www.uw.edu/itconnect/accessibility/atl/
University of Washington UW Information Technology