[Athen] Morally repugnant

Ron Stewart ron at ahead.org
Fri Jun 14 21:32:30 PDT 2013

Hi all, I just to have to say something and I hope that you will also take
action. As a person who has devoted most of my career to inclusion I cannot
sit on this without a call to action.

Not sure why, tiredness I guess, but by happenstance today I turned on my
hotel TV today and was exposed to something that I find so offensive that I
can keep silent. In a late night show, Jimmy Kimmel, presented a skit by
Will Smith that was based on a blind referee, the display of the key person
as a cane user who was trying to be a referee, and having not impact.
This skit presents every that is wrong with the typical presentation of
folks with blindness and low visions. It presents this group in such a
negative light that I cannot chock it up to the usual excuses of we were
just trying to be humorous. From my perspective it is similar to what we
have overcome with we see the "jockey" statute on the front line.

I would hope that you would facilitate this effort by contacting the sponsor
broadcaster, ABC, in bringing this reprehensible before their attention
and that they take corporate action to insure that they present disability
as a common life experience and additionally not use the impact of
disability as a crass and baseless of humor.

Those of you who know me can perhaps better articulate the point that I am
trying to make. I am making my best effort to be articulate, but this is so
upsetting to me that I am having a very hard time.

Ron Stewart

***

Ron Stewart

Managing Consultant