[Athen] Word/MathType to Nemeth Braille work flow?

Sean J Keegan skeegan at stanford.edu
Thu Jun 20 09:49:33 PDT 2013

We have (essentially) the same workflow that Brian outlined in terms of converting MS Word documents to Nemeth via Duxbury. We have a few "Nemeth-familiar" transcribers who are sighted and can do the math corrections in Duxbury while reviewing the document. During production, these transcribers work together to improve the accuracy of the final materials. We also do outsourcing as well for some textbook chapters while concentrating on the tactile graphics, lecture notes, and handouts for in-house production.

While the conversion from MS Word+MathType to Nemeth via Duxbury has gotten better in the recent version, there are still times when you need to verify the conversion is correct. If someone is doing just the automatic conversion, then there will be errors. Additionally, you can encounter issues with formatting where there is either too much or too little spacing applied to the braille document that makes it more challenging to read. We have had to check how the student wants to read the Nemeth materials. If the student is using a refreshable braille display, then we pay very close attention to the line length; what looked "good" in Duxbury for embossing may not render well on a portable braille display.

Do not use the embedded Equation Editor in MS Word. You need to use MathType for MS Word documents.

Take care,
Sean