[Athen] Accessibility Statements

Dan Comden danc at uw.edu
Wed Mar 20 17:17:49 PDT 2013

Here's one. Yes, I'm a dreamer:

"We try to be accessible in our products and services. We understand that
accessibility is a process, not an end product. This means that we adhere
to current standards toward this goal and where we fall short, we respond
to customer concerns and complaints in a timely fashion. We won't treat
accessibility as a single disability issue. We consider accessibility a
core component of usability and will include testing for it as a primary
step of our product development cycle. We don't want our employees to make
false statements about the accessibility of our products and services, and
if they are caught fudging, fibbing, or flat out lying about accessibility,
we promise to publicly mock them before cutting them loose. We are just as
cynical about VPATs as you are and because of this, we promise to use them
as little as possible and instead refer to this mission statement. We'll
include language that addresses accessibility in all our contracts with
customers. We will steal the mice from our developers on a regular and
random basis."

On Wed, Mar 20, 2013 at 12:39 PM, Ron Stewart <ron at ahead.org> wrote:

> Good afternoon all, had an interesting request. If you could set the

> accessibility mission statement for a company what would you say?****

> ** **

> Ron ****

> ** **

> --

-*- Dan Comden danc at uw.edu <danc at washington.edu>
Access Technology Center www.uw.edu/itconnect/accessibility/atl/
University of Washington UW Information Technology