[Athen] DocSoft and Liberated Learning Consortium information?

Ron Stewart ron at ahead.org
Fri Nov 1 19:56:37 PDT 2013

I would suggest getting in touch with Sean Keegan, they have a pretty good implementation of DocSoft on their campus.

As to Liberated Learning, all reports are that they have a good idea but it is more Hype than reality. I am not aware of anyone who has tried to use their technology that has been satisfied with the results. Currently there is no way to automate the Voice Recognition process without training the VR file to the person speaking.

To properly caption academic content you need to have ~95% accuracy, and that just cannot be done with current VR technologies unless individualized training occurs. Old adage, "if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is". There is a good reason that RIT abandoned their research project in this area, it did not work.

Ron Stewart