[Athen] Google Chrome & math accessibility

Karen Sorensen karen.sorensen at pcc.edu
Tue Nov 12 11:13:25 PST 2013

Hi Wink and everyone else!
Phyllis Petteys and I were just emailing about this Google pronouncement.
So is that correct that screen readers (even ChromeVox) will no longer be
able to read math if Google only uses MathJAX? That's what I was surmising,
but it's never explicitly covered in the article. Some little piece of me
was hoping maybe Google had another way. What happens if someone is using
Chrome and the website has MathML? I wonder what ChromeVox will do with it?
We've been having a lot of trouble with IE and MathPlayer. Currently we can
only make JAWS read MathML with IE 9 (32 bit edition). Now that IE is on
version 11, this is getting more and more difficult!
Someone mentioned Firefox has a MathPlayer plugin, so that's what we will
test next.

What are others recommending for a screen reader user to read math with?
Oy! It shouldn't be this difficult! Why don't screen readers support the
standard MathML? Why do we need plugins at all?
Never a dull day in this job! :-)
Best,
Karen

Karen M. Sorensen
Accessibility Advocate for Online Courses
www.pcc.edu/access
Portland Community College
971-722-4720
*"The power of the Web is in its universality. Access by everyone
regardless of disability is an essential aspect.”* Tim Berners-Lee