[Athen] RE: Questions/ Susan Kelmer

Terri Scofield terriscofield at cwidaho.cc
Thu Nov 14 06:40:20 PST 2013

Thank you Susan :)

-----Original Message-----
From: athen-list-bounces at mailman1.u.washington.edu [mailto:athen-list-bounces at mailman1.u.washington.edu] On Behalf Of Susan Kelmer
Sent: Wednesday, November 13, 2013 8:12 AM
To: Access Technology Higher Education Network
Subject: [Athen] RE: Questions

Your only choice is to put in the alternate text if it is needed by the student. No publisher file or OCR'd file is going to magically know how to describe an image and give the information needed. This is the human, manual part of the process. Please note, though, that not ever figure, graphic, or table needs alternate format. Some are just "eye candy" and not needed. I would strongly suggest that you talk directly with the student about what their needs are and what isn't working (and what is).

And the majority of the Pearson "My Lab" products are not going to be accessible to a student using Jaws. Pearson says they are working on this but I haven't seen enough progress yet to feel hopeful about it.

Susan Kelmer
Alternate Format Coordinator
Disability Services
University of Colorado