[Athen] Fix for the new iOS on the iPhone

Gaeir Dietrich gdietrich at htctu.net
Thu Oct 3 13:50:00 PDT 2013

Hi all!

This message is directed to those of you who upgraded your iOS devices to
the new operating system and suddenly found that you had developed a visual
perception issue, i.e., the contrast of the fonts in the new iOS is now so
poor that you were no longer able to see your contact list or icon names
clearly!!

Accessibility to the rescue! Go to your Settings (usually in the bar at the
bottom of the device). Then select General and Accessibility. Under
Accessibility, turn on Bold Text. Life will instantly improve! <wink>

I deplore the fact that designers cannot follow simple guidelines about
contrast, but I applaud the fact that in desperation many "nondisabled"
folks will now be introduced to the wonders of access for all and Universal
Design.

Life is good again. ;-)

Gaeir (rhymes with "fire") Dietrich
High Tech Center Training Unit of the
California Community Colleges
De Anza College, Cupertino, CA
<http://www.htctu.net/> www.htctu.net
408-996-6043

The HTCTU provides leadership, training, and support to the California
Community Colleges in using technology to promote the success of students
with disabilities.

"We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn
bushes have roses."

―Abraham Lincoln