[Athen] Publishers - how does your institution deal with their inaccessible content?

Karen Sorensen karen.sorensen at pcc.edu
Tue Oct 15 15:24:06 PDT 2013

Hi Group,
What do your institutions say about the use of inaccessible publisher
content? We are working hard to make sure our faculty are aware of the
accessibility requirements and standards while constructing their courses,
but then they adopt inaccessible publisher content.
I've had so many publishers contact me and want to "partner" on
accessibility. By partner, they seem to want us to be OK with their not
being 100% accessible. While I understand that they might not be there yet,
they seem unwilling to say when they will be (or they say and then don't
meet that deadline).
Do you forbid use of inaccessible content from sources like publishers and
other outside sources where we can't do anything to retrofit them? I'm not
sure whether there is a transitional type of solution to give publishers
time to bring their content up to accessibility standards, or whether this
just lets the publishers put off accessibility for a few more years. Any
ideas? Suggestions?
Thanks,
Karen

Karen M. Sorensen
Accessibility Advocate for Online Courses
www.pcc.edu/access
Portland Community College
971-722-4720
*"The power of the Web is in its universality. Access by everyone
regardless of disability is an essential aspect.”* Tim Berners-Lee