[Athen] Intro + newbie question

York, Kimberly kyork at fsu.edu
Mon Oct 28 05:38:13 PDT 2013

Hello, ATHEN! My name is KimBoo York and I'm the new Assistive Tech Lab Coordinator at FSU. I am replacing Patti Lester (whom many of you know), who has gone off to greener pastures. While I have worked here at the Student Disability Resource Center at FSU in a part-time position doing mostly alt-text work, I'm new to the whole "running the whole place" gig.

The newbie question I've got right now is more of a request. We do not have a written policy here regarding alternative text services, in relation to fair use and the Chafee Amendment. I'm getting with legal to discuss this matter, but I was hoping that anyone here who works for a state university which *does* have such a policy would be willing to share it with me as reference? It a topic fraught with land mines and I want some clarity, especially since it concerns being able to adequately support our student population.

Please feel free to reply to my personal email (kyork at fsu.edu<mailto:kyork at fsu.edu>) or to this list, I'll be looking out either way. Thank you so much!

:::KimBoo York, MLIS

Assistive Technology Lab Coordinator
Student Disability Resource Center / Assistant Dean of Students
Florida State University
108 Student Services Building
874 Traditions Way
Tallahassee, FL 32306-4167