[Athen] How to Improve this PDF Form?

Al Puzzuoli alpuzz at msu.edu
Tue Oct 29 08:26:43 PDT 2013

Hi everyone,
I have been asked to look at a PDF form and evaluate its accessibility with a screen reader.
The first thing I notice is that the document is untagged, and I'm not sure whether the fields are properly labeled. Jaws couldn't read many of the field names when I tabbed through the document in Acrobat Reader. What's interesting though is that I accidentally tested using the built-in PdF reader in windows 8, and to my surprise, found that Jaws read fields much better in the native Windows 8 app than it did using Adobe's own reader. Why would that be?
I'm attaching the form to this message, any comments or thoughts would be much appreciated.

Al Puzzuoli
Michigan State University
Information Technologist http://www.rcpd.msu.edu
Resource Center for Persons with Disabilities 517-884-1915 120 Bessey Hall East Lansing, MI 48824-1033