[Athen] AltFormat Survey

Susan Kelmer Susan.Kelmer at Colorado.EDU
Wed Apr 2 07:13:26 PDT 2014

Penguin
Random House

Only half kidding. Actually, not kidding at all. These two publishers give me the biggest grief. Aside from that:

1. Publishers and others assuming that Bookshare is good enough. It is good for certain types of students, but not for all of them.

2. Difficulty in STEM alt format - the conversion process, how much manual labor is involved, how complex the tools are.

3. The assumption that an alt format person is also a content expert.

4. A hundred different formats for a hundred different reasons, and needing specialized software to access some of them (Learning Ally and Bookshare and ePub and Daisy and and and) rather than the tools the student may already have.

5. Professors and teaching staff that don't understand how important alternate format is, and how they can provide it easily themselves without our intervention.

Those would be my top five. I'm interested to see what others come up with.

Susan Kelmer
Alternate Format Coordinator
Disability Services
University of Colorado