[Athen] Reading Order in MS PowerPoint

Teresa Haven Teresa.Haven at nau.edu
Mon Apr 7 12:54:22 PDT 2014

Greetings, all. I'm attempting to retrofit a PPT presentation created by a colleague who, until recently, was unfamiliar with accessibility needs. This particular presentation has been a work in progress for many years and across many versions of PPT. One slide in particular has a lot of separate text elements that need to be read in order to make sense; when listening to it initially with JAWS, just a couple of items were read out of order so I attempted to clean that up (am in Office 2010 for Windows); according to Microsoft's help site I should fix the reading order using Arrange>Selection Pane. When I viewed the reading order it was NOTHING like what I was hearing with JAWS - it looked completely random, despite the fact that JAWS was doing a pretty good job with the page. Well, I "fixed" the reading order in Selection Pane and now the slide is read as complete gibberish by JAWS - nothing is in order. Yes, I still have a copy of the original file and can go back, or I can re-create the slide from scratch, but does anyone have a suggestion for how to reliably repair reading order in PPT slides?

Thanks for your ideas,
Teresa

Teresa Haven, Ph.D.
Accessibility Analyst