[Athen] Lab Polices for adaptive/assistive lab

Sheryl Burgstahler sherylb at uw.edu
Mon Apr 14 13:33:23 PDT 2014

In this policy, it appears that MIT is requiring more hoops for students with disabilities to go through in order to gain access to the MIT technology they need to use when compared with other MIT students. They also seem to be be only assured access to the specialized technology they need in a segregated rather than integrated setting and (perhaps) even have fewer total access hours each week than other students. If a student with a disability needs the equipment in ATIC to work on a project with a person who does not have a disability, must this second person come in as a guest and stay a maximum of ten minutes? Also, is the termination policy consistent with that for other MIT students?

Are these restrictions contrary to the spirit of the ADA?

Sheryl
Sheryl Burgstahler, Ph.D.
Director, UW Accessible Technology & DO-IT, UW-IT
Affiliate Professor, Education
University of Washington, Box 354842
Seattle, WA 98195
206-543-0622 FAX 206-221-4171