[Athen] Text-to-speech for medical terminology

Sean Keegan skeegan at stanford.edu
Wed Apr 30 13:37:34 PDT 2014

Hi Pat,

TextAloud is another solid application to consider. That said, I have found Balabolka supports many of the same capabilities at a much nicer price point (free!).

I have found *some* of the more expensive voices can read medical/technical terms more accurately, but this is not always true. It may be necessary to modify the spoken word pronunciation in the application itself.

For example, in Balabolka, you would need to go to View > Show > Panel of Dictionaries. This will open a panel on the right side of the interface. If you click on the Edit button on the top area of that panel, you will then see a few dictionary entries in which the written word is "corrected" into the spoken word.

If you are looking at purchasing one of the higher quality voices, you may want to try and enter different terms on that web page and try out how the content is spoken. For the most part, I have had good results with Ivona voices, but given that medical terms may contain a doctor's or scientist's name as part of the condition, it really just depends.

Also, regional differences may have an impact on how accurate the TTS voice is perceived in speaking the text content. I had visiting professor in grad school who insisted on pronouncing "musculoskeletal system" as "musculo ske LEE tal system" - needless to say, all of us would cringe.

Lastly, I would suggest the following - although I have ZERO hard data and the following is based purely on anecdotal evidence - try an English speaking voice that has a slight accent. Some of the English speaking students I have worked with prefer a slightly accented voice as they feel they do not get too hung up on what may be mispronunciations of the text. For the Ivona voices, this may be something like Ivona Amy (British English) or if using Nuance then Tessa (South African).

Hope this helps.

Take care,
Sean