[Athen] Blackboard Collaborate

Melanie P. Thornton mthornt at uark.edu
Mon Aug 25 10:38:17 PDT 2014

Hello, all.

I recently had JAWS user try to participate in a webinar hosted on Collaborate and she was unable to access it. Upon further investigation, I realized that I could not access it either. This was on a PC that had previously worked with Collaborate using the same version of JAWS I had used before.

I ran to Teresa Haven (as I often do) and she was able to learn that bit agreement between OS, JAWS and Java was necessary (as well as enabling the Java Access Bridge). I was able to set things up to make it work but when I tried using NVDA with the same setup, it did not work. I have not experimented with Window Eyes.

This does not meet the standard of accessibility want to meet. I wonder if anyone else has any wisdom to share on this. Has anyone else been in communication with Blackboard about this?

Your thoughts are appreciated.

Melanie

Melanie Thornton
Leadership Development Facilitator