[Athen] MindTap (Cengage) and Math

Alexa Schriempf ats169 at psu.edu
Mon Dec 15 16:49:18 PST 2014

Hi Korey, I would be interested in knowing more about the xhtml file for
that book at Cengage. I recently examined a book at Cengage, that was
listed with VitalSmart, which is supposed to be accessible. My problem was
that the book itself hadn't been edited with any MathML.

This is probably a dumb question, but is there any MathML plus MathJax
script in the file? Also, as a workaround, since MindTap's tools are not
working, could Cengage give you the XHTML file (if it in fact does have
MathML in it), for you to deliver to student?

-Alexa

On Mon, Dec 15, 2014 at 8:42 AM, Korey J Singleton <ksinglet at gmu.edu> wrote:

> Hi John,

> Thank you for the very quick follow-up! In attempting to download and

> install IE9, you are essentially pushed into downloading IE11 (I am using

> Windows 7 Pro 64-bit). There is probably a workaround for this (e.g.,

> uninstalling service packs or even moving back to Windows Vista), but it

> involves a number of hurdles which I would hate to have to walk the

> student through. Besides that, we are limited on time in trying to

> provide this option as an alternative solution. My big concern, even if I

> could get it to work, is the ³fragility" of this potential solution. One

> hiccup or mistaken Windows update to IE11 and the student is again unable

> to access any of the mathematical content.

> Korey Singleton

> ATI Manager

> Assistive Technology Initiative

> Aquia Building RM 238 MSN: 6A11

> Fairfax Campus

> 4400 University Drive

> Fairfax, VA 22030

> Phone: 703-993-2143

> Fax: 703-993-4743

> http://ati.gmu.edu

> On 12/14/14, 10:02 PM, "John Elmer" <JElmer at vcccd.edu> wrote:

> >Try IE 9. It's my understanding that is the last compatible version

> >before Microsoft screwed things up in terms of Math Player functionality.

> >It will be important for EVERYONE for you to give this feedback to

> >Cengage and Microsoft...and even Design Science, thought they seem to be

> >up against Microsoft, the behemoth, who doesn't seem to give a tip as to

> >what they have done to people with disabilities in terms of access via

> >screen readers to math via XXTML/MML. Both Cengage and Microsoft need to

> >either accommodate a Design a Science or engage with them on important

> >some fixes. It seems like Cengage's their heart is (or might be) in the

> >right place.

> >John

> >> On Dec 14, 2014, at 6:44 PM, Korey J Singleton <ksinglet at gmu.edu>

> wrote:

> >> Hi All,

> >> I'm working with an XHTML version of a statistics textbook from Cengage

> >>(via MindTap) and cannot seem to get Jaws, or any screen reader for that

> >>matter, to recognize the mathematical content. It is supposed to. I've

> >>tried using the text-to-speech tool (Readspeaker) built into the MindTap

> >>application. I've tried using Jaws 16 with both IE8 and IE11. Although

> >>Mathplayer works in IE8, the MindTap website will not render properly.

> >>Although the MindTap application renders properly in IE10 or IE11,

> >>Mathplayer will not work. I've also tried ChromeVox and Chrome,

> >>although the student has no experience using either application.

> >> If you have any suggestions on what I am doing wrong, I would love to

> >>be enlightened. Thanks in advance for any suggestions you might have.

> >> Korey Singleton

> >> ATI Manager

> >> Assistive Technology Initiative

> [...]

Alexa Schriempf, PhD