[Athen] Alternative To Kurzweil 3000 for STEM

Ron Stewart ron at ahead.org
Sun Feb 23 12:29:18 PST 2014

Kurzweil 3000, is not really appropriate for this type of situation.
Kurzweil is ineffective if not totally unsuitable for dealing with
formalistic content and for this type of disability is not going to get you
what you need.

First option would be to try screen magnification with speech, but that is
still probably not going to provide the needed level of access to the
mathematical content since it still needs to be edited to get it to read
write. To provide the appropriate level of equivalent access the documents
are still going to need to be converted and then edited preferably with Word
and MathType. That is true of all the document types you have mentioned
since none of them provide adequate access to mathematics and other symbolic
content.

Unfortunately there is no easy answer here. I would be more than happy to
discuss this with you if you would like to contact me offline.

Ron Stewart