[Athen] Handwriting recognition apps for iPhone

Nettie Fischer nettiet at gmail.com
Mon Jan 27 15:58:25 PST 2014

I was just playing with an app called WritePad. I wrote something, and, it
transcribed to text, next step: sent it to myself via email and tadaa -
copied and pasted into a word document. I realize this take quite few
steps but it does transcribe to editable text. Oops on me, I cannot
remember if it was a free app or fee app.

Nettie's nickel.

On Mon, Jan 27, 2014 at 3:10 PM, Heidi Scher <hascherdss at gmail.com> wrote:

> Thank you one and all! I really appreciate the info. Didn't know that

> VoiceOver in iOS 7 has handwriting recognition. We'd thought about the

> Livescribe 3. Since she doesn't need to record, it seems wiser to look for

> an alternative vs paying so much for the pen.

> Hi Nettie, This person can write, but she's looking for a way to write

> her information and then have it automatically changed to a typed text that

> can be manipulated (re-arranged).

> Stay warm & safe!

> Heidi

> +++++++++++++++

> Heidi Scher, M.S., CRC

> Associate Director

> Center for Educational Access

> University of Arkansas

> ARKU 104

> Fayetteville, AR 72701

> 479.575.3104

> 479.575.7445 fax

> 479.575.3646 tdd

> +++++++++++++++

> On Mon, Jan 27, 2014 at 4:07 PM, Nettie Fischer <nettiet at gmail.com> wrote:

>> Not osure if I am off the intent of the topic but, if this person can

>> write, how about using the free google drive to write down and have it save

>> to the google drive account.? Maybe a silly question, but just wondering

>> Nettie's nickel

>> On Mon, Jan 27, 2014 at 12:32 PM, Sean Keegan <skeegan at stanford.edu>wrote:

>>> A colleague and I played with the Livescribe 3 pen for a short time when

>>> it first was released a few months ago. Very cool potential and it had

>>> decent recognition for handwriting for the mobile device.

>>> That said, we have not had the best success with the SmartPen 3 in an

>>> academic setting. The audio recording functionality is the mobile device

>>> itself (iPhone, iPad, etc.), so the capability is dependent on that device.

>>> Additionally, we had situations where the pen and mobile device became

>>> disconnected (i.e., no longer sync'ed) in the middle of a recording session

>>> https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/myscript-memo/id446368116?mt=8

>>> Has good reviews

>>> WritePad ($4.99)

>>> https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/writepad/id293033512?mt=8#

>>> http://evernote.com/penultimate/whats_new/ios/

>>> Has good reviews

>>> Penultimate is a REALLY nice app, but it does require Evernote sync'ing

>>> to get the handwriting recognition. I am not sure how well it would work

>>> for an iPhone. It works well for the iPad as there is a larger screen for

>>> writing.

>>> Take care,

>>> Sean

>>> http://www.livescribe.com/en-us/smartpen/ls3/

>>> Check out the video. It’s pretty informative.

>>> Heidi

>>> +++++++++++++++

>>> Heidi Scher, M.S., CRC

>>> Associate Director

>>> Center for Educational Access

>>> University of Arkansas

>>> ARKU 104

>>> Fayetteville, AR 72701

>>> 479.575.3104

>>> 479.575.7445 fax

>>> 479.575.3646 tdd

>>> athen-list mailing list

>>> athen-list at mailman2.u.washington.edu

>> --

>> *Nettie T. Fischer, ATP Assistive Technology Professional*

>> *RESNA Certified*

>> *California Certified NPA Nettiet, ATP

>> Consultantswww.nettietatpconsultants.com

>> <http://www.nettietatpconsultants.com>*

>> *[916] 686-1860 <%5B916%5D%20686-1860> FAX(916) 704-1456

>> <%28916%29%20704-1456> Cell*

*Nettie T. Fischer, ATPAssistive Technology Professional*
*RESNA Certified*

*California Certified NPA Nettiet, ATP
Consultantswww.nettietatpconsultants.com
<http://www.nettietatpconsultants.com>*