[Athen] Which Software are folks using for Ebook Production?

Evan S Yamanishi yamanise at lcc.edu
Thu Jul 10 12:10:42 PDT 2014

Hey Al,

I just today submitted a purchase order for ABBYY FineReader 12 Corporate. It was a difficult decision to choose between OmniPage and FineReader since they have essentially the same features, but in the end it came down to a few factors:

1. Price: FineReader Corporate is $400, while OmniPage Ultimate is $500.

2. Licensing: FineReader Corporate has more licensing options, allowing us to adjust our implementation more easily. I especially like the LAN-managed license control, which OmniPage doesn't appear to have (I couldn't find it, and their customer support wasn't much help either).

3. Company direction: This is certainly not important to everyone, but I like the fact that ABBYY is a relatively small company dedicated to OCR. Nuance is roughly 10 times as big as ABBYY, and they have their hands in a lot more than just OCR.

In the end I think either option would be great. You're more than welcome to come down to LCC to try it out, assuming you can wait until we get it!

Evan Yamanishi
Coordinator of Reader Services<http://www.lcc.edu/odss/reader_services/>
Office of Disability Support Services<http://www.lcc.edu/odss/>
Lansing Community College