[Athen] Are shorter URLs an accessibility feature?

Evan S Yamanishi yamanise at lcc.edu
Wed Jun 18 08:19:55 PDT 2014

Hi Todd,

Could you clarify what you mean by top level domain URL? Normally top level domain refers to the .com, .edu, .org, etc., and I'd be surprised if a student disability group wanted to change that. Refer to this Anatomy of a URL infographic if you're unsure of what all the parts are called: http://d1avok0lzls2w.cloudfront.net/img_uploads/anatomy-of-a-url.jpg.

URLs are meant to be descriptive and meaningful. The only reason URLs are constructed the way they are is so that humans can read them, so it makes sense to make them as human-readable as possible, and that's definitely an accessibility concern.

Evan Yamanishi
Coordinator of Reader Services
Office of Disability Support Services
Lansing Community College