[Athen] FW: AT Job Opening- University of Colorado Colorado Springs
ronrstewart at gmail.com
Mon Jun 23 14:32:29 PDT 2014
Looks like an interesting opportunity and a wonderful place to live as well.
Assistive Technology Specialist
Assistive Technology Specialist
Colorado Springs, CO
Background Check Required?
Do you share the UCCS Values of Excellence that include:
- Student Focus
- Inclusive Diversity
- Dynamic Responsible Growth
Located at the foot of majestic Pikes Peak, UCCS offers:
- 36 Bachelor's degrees, 19 Master's degrees, and five Doctoral programs.
- Includes 7 academic colleges and schools on campus: Business; Education;
Engineering and Applied Science; Letters, Arts and Sciences; Nursing and
Health Sciences; Graduate School; School of Public Affairs.
The City of Colorado Springs boasts a population of 426,388 and enjoys over
300 days of sunshine each year. The city has received national recognition
for its quality of life.
This position is designed to address digital accessibility issues/concerns
for students with disabilities enrolled in the University of Colorado
Colorado Springs. This staff member is responsible for working directly with
students with disabilities and staff, faculty and administration in a
collaborative approach to ensure access to all technology and software.
The position requires working closely with students to identify access,
alternate format and accommodation needs relating specifically to technology
access needs. Also consulting and training faculty about creating accessible
formats of course materials and/or developing equally accessible
alternatives. Additionally, this position will consult about academic
technology with IT administrators when new purchases are considered, helping
to develop policies and procedures related to digital accessibility, and
working closely with Disability Services.
Examples of Work Performed:
1. Install network licensed software, repair and modify adaptive technology
software and hardware configurations.
2. Provide support for the assistive technology programs such as, JAWS,
Zoomtext, Omnipage, Duxbury Braille, Read & Write Gold and Dragon Naturally
3. Oversee the hardware, software, and support in the Assistive Technology
Lab, Disability Services, and across campus.
4. Create alternative text and electronic audio files for students with
5. Supervise student employees who assist in the production of alternate
format or support the AT position.
6. Collaborate with students with disabilities to assist in determining
assistive technology options for academic access.
7. Assist students with limited training of assistive technology needs
related to their areas of study.
8. Consult and train faculty on creating accessible formats for course
materials or developing equally accessible alternatives.
9. Develop policies and procedures related to digital accessibility.
10. Train students on lo-tech technology and software, including, but not
limited to: text enlargers, Livescribe(smart pens), talking calculators,
Zoomtext and Read & Write Gold.
11. Maintain technology and develop training modules for each device and/or
12. Create and maintain software and equipment inventory.
13. Attend training and conferences
14. Review literature on regular basis to maintain currency on digital
accessibility issues. Present results of the above to Disability Services
14. Provide cross training to other Disability Services professional staff
For the purposes of FLSA this position has been determined to be exempt from
(not eligible for) overtime under FLSA
Salary Range is $49,000 to $60,000
The University of Colorado Colorado Springs is dedicated to ensuring a safe
and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To
achieve that goal, we conduct background investigations for prospective
The University of Colorado Colorado Springs is an Equal Opportunity Employer
and fosters equity in employment by promoting diversity and assuring
inclusiveness. Alternative formats of this ad can be provided upon request
for individuals with disabilities by contacting Human Resources at (719)
* Bachelor's Degree from an accredited college or university in computer
science, special education, educational technology, rehabilitation
counseling or related field.
* Two to three years experience working with individuals with disabilities
in a post-secondary setting.
* Two to three years experience working with/using assistive technology,
including software and hardware applications and both lo-tech and high-tech
* Extensive knowledge of Windows Operating System
* Extensive knowledge of Mac OSX
Required Competencies/Knowledge, Skills and abilities
Knowledge: Advanced hardware and software applications for conversion of
printed text to digital audio text, enlarged text, Braille and/or tactile
images. Applicant should be knowledge on how to comply with the ADA Section
508, ADAA, and the Web Accessibility Initiative (W3C-WAI).
* Technological skills: Convert pictures, graphs and charts into high
definition tactile graphics. Define instructional server needs; research
available options and recommend choices; install, configure and test
instructional server hardware and software; maintain server hardware;
install new version of server software. Diagnose and troubleshoot student
software problems; repair and modify damages software configurations.
* Training skills: teach students how to use assistive technology.
* Communication skills - verbal and written.
* Organizational & Time Management skills.
* Advanced knowledge and understanding of Windows 7, Windows 8, Mac OSX and
Mobile operating systems.
* Strong Customer Service Experience: Understanding of customer's needs and
customer service attitude.
* Demonstrated ability to work effectively with diverse populations.
* Three - five years' experience in providing postsecondary accommodations
for students with disabilities
* Three - five years' experience with Information Technology (IT)
* Demonstrated experience in independent decision-making
* Strong understanding of Information Technology Information Library (ITIL)/
Information Technology Service Management (ITSM) principals
Special instructions to applicants
Applications submitted by July 7, 2014 will receive full consideration.
Applications submitted through email or surface mail will not be considered.
Please apply at www.jobsatcu.com.
Please be prepared to provide five references upon request.
Official Transcripts will be required upon hire.
Job posting contact
Job posting contact telephone
Job posting contact email
ehanlon at uccs.edu
Job Posting Number
Quicklink for Posting
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
1. * Do you have a Bachelor's Degree in computer science, special
education, educational technology, rehabilitation counseling or related
2. * Do you have two to three years experience working with individuals
with disabilities in the postsecondary setting?
3. * Do you have two or more years experience working with/using
assistive technology, including software and hardware applications and both
lo-tech and high-tech options?
4. * Please describe your knowledge of Windows Operating Systems and Mac
(Open Ended Question)
Optional & Required Documents
2. Cover Letter
3. List of References
Disability Services and University Testing Center University of Colorado
This list is intended to serve as a forum for higher education professionals
involved in the delivery of services to students with disabilities in higher
education. Any commercial posts or posts that are deemed by the listowner to
be inappropriate for the list will result in the poster being removed from
To sign off the list, send a message to
* listserv at listserv.acsu.buffalo.edu
* with the message
* Unsubscribe dsshe-L
To search the archives, go to
Questions? Contact Listowner Dan Ryan at dryan at buffalo.edu
More information about the athen-list