[Athen] accesskey keyboard accessibility and WordPress sites

Jennifer Sutton jsuttondc at gmail.com
Thu May 1 19:39:14 PDT 2014

Hello, all:

I wouldn't particularly put accesskeys as a high priority when
setting up an accessible WordPress site. It's difficult to select
them so that they won't conflict with other key-combos.

WordPress is now on Version 3.9, and I would say that there's been
quite a bit of effort to improve its accessibility over the last
year, both on the front and back end. That being said, people need to
take care not to break accessibility that's built into core, and it
does, indeed, matter which themes you choose (or how you build your own).

Note that Joe Dolson recently gave an online course on WordPress and
accessibility; he's very knowledgeable. I believe he's the one who
built the WordPress Accessibility plugin Paul mentions below.

Here are a few more links to add to Paul's:

Joe's slides from WordCamp Minneapolis (recent):
http://slides.joedolson.com/wcmsp2014/#1

A Post by Joe on Accessible Video:
https://www.joedolson.com/articles/2013/11/accessible-video-wordpress/

A post by someone who built an accessible theme for the Cities Project:
http://www.happywebdiva.com/2014/03/15/accessible-wordpress-theme/

And another theme from that project:
http://davidakennedy.com/2013/accessible-zen-an-accessible-wordpress-theme/

A post that collects most of the key resources:
http://www.practicalecommerce.com/articles/61516-WordPress-Accessibility-Resources

and last, but perhaps most important, the Accessibility Guidelines to
help with building themes:
http://make.wordpress.org/themes/guidelines/guidelines-accessibility/

Best,
Jennifer