[Athen] Firefox 29 and Use System Colors priority change

Todd Schwanke tschwanke at studentlife.wisc.edu
Fri May 2 06:50:35 PDT 2014

FYI for users who use Windows 7 high contrast themes and Firefox.

With the release of Firefox 29 and its updated interface, we have seen problems where everything is in high contrast colors, except for the web content area of Firefox. The following is based on our experiences in Windows 7.

In Firefox 28 and prior you could have the checkboxes "Use system colors" and "Allow pages to choose their own colors, instead of my selections above" both checked and Firefox would still provide high contrast colors. "Use system colors" is UNchecked by default and "Allow pages to choose their own colors, instead of my selections above" is checked by default, so it is common for users just to check "Use system colors" without unchecking the other. However, in Firefox 29 the priority of these checkboxes seems to have changed to more accurately correspond to their positioning and wording. We found that if we uncheck the box "Allow pages to choose their own colors, instead of my selections above" while leaving "Use system colors" checked that Firefox will again use System Colors and thus be able to provide high contrast within the content area. This setting is in the Options under Content > Colors.

Todd Schwanke

UW-Madison