[Athen] quick history question

Ron Stewart ronrstewart at gmail.com
Tue Oct 14 19:04:01 PDT 2014

Well this evening I decided to dig through some of the historical email. The outreach from ATHEN and AHEAD to EDUCAUSE dates back to early 2005, by this date EASI's work with them appears to have gone from being a player to what I am not sure but based on the communications with the organization nothing of much consequence appeared to be going on. EASI was involved in this and subsequent conversations through the participation of Norm Coombs.

In the summer of 2005 we received a thanks but no thanks communication from EDUCAUSE direct to AHEAD despite the intervention of a CA CIO's attempts to broker a formal relationships.

In the fall of 2006 a roundtable session on IT accessibility was held at the annual EDUCAUSE conference in Dallas but no formal Constituent group existed at this time.

In late November 2006 a teleconference was held between key folks in ATHEN and the EDUCAUSE Executive Staff. Promises of follow-up were made by the various EDUCAUSE VP's that participated but my notes indicated that there was actually now concrete follow through on the part of EDUCAUSE.

In early October of 2007 Terry Thompson was given 30 minutes to talk about accessibility at the CIO meeting at the EDUCAUS annual conference in later in the month.

At the AHG annual meeting in 2007 it was announced by Terry (Terrill today) that the IT Accessibility constituent meeting had been formed.

In March of 2009 a bridge session was held at AHG during interval between the annual EDUCAUSE conference in Denver and the AHG conference. Very little attendance was there from folks from the EDUCAUSE group but there were a few.

So after all of this we have the answer, and this brought up to me a lot of memories that I would like to forget since for almost a decade we have been attempting to make progress with EDUCAUSE and at this point we have a group. This reflects a lot of hard work on the part of a few folks but also does not come as a surprise given the recent formal EDUCAUSE position statement on the TEACH Act.

Ron Stewart