[Athen] LiveScribe Smartpen

Evan Hale ehale at qcc.mass.edu
Thu Oct 16 08:52:21 PDT 2014

Hi Everyone,

I work for the Assistive Technology department at Quinsigamond Community College in Worcester, MA, and we have been loaning out Smartpens to students with disabilities for almost 2 years now. Recently, it has come to our attention that our students are not really utilizing the pen effectively due to their inability to take quality notes. I'm sending this message to find out how other institutions are handling the Smartpen, how they are training students, and how you are supporting students with the note taking process.

So here are a few specific questions related to the Smartpen and

notetaking:

1. What is the process you are using when training a student on the Smartpen? Do you simply go over how the pen works, or do you provide any additional training on the process of note taking?

2. Do you provide additional note taking support? Do you have any requirements (such as note taking training) prior to loaning out a Smartpen?

3. Do you do any check-ins during the semester to ensure your students are taking quality notes?

4. Do many students return their pen mid-semester saying that they are either not using the pen, or that it is not useful in the classes they are taking?

Thanks so much for any information/insight you can provide.

Evan Hale
assistivetech at qcc.mass.edu