[Athen] cart CONNECTION ISSUES

Alexa Schriempf ats169 at psu.edu
Fri Oct 17 12:24:15 PDT 2014

Not yet handling this issue on my campus, but it seems to me the solution
is for a campus's IT to establish a dedicated, Deaf and HOH remote CART
bandwidth service. The idea is similar to the "guest" bandwith available to
non-campus persons, and then a password protected wifi available to those
with the log in credentials. Why not create a third one and lock it down
for remote CART purposes?

On Fri, Oct 17, 2014 at 3:17 PM, Shadrick, Megan E <
MeganShadrick at missouristate.edu> wrote:

> Hello All

> With students using and connecting with phones, tablets, and watches our

> wireless isn’t reliable enough to run remote CART services through. We have

> only been using wireless if there isn’t a hard data port connection in the

> room. Since the number of Deaf and Hard of Hearing students continues to

> increase here I am trying to find a solid plan for the future. I am finding

> a lot of classrooms without extra data ports that students can access. When

> you add the number of students we have using CART and the number of

> classrooms without data ports it is starting to become overwhelming. Very

> long story short adding new data ports into the classrooms as needed isn’t

> a feasible option. The only other options I can come up with are relocating

> classes to different rooms or using a CART provider in the room. We are

> down to 2 local CART providers and we keep their schedules full so this

> isn’t really an option. I am curious how you are handling this problem on

> yor campuses?

> Thank you!

> Megan Shadrick M.S., M.A., COMS

> Associate Director, Disability Resource Center—Access Technology Center

> Missouri State University

> meganshadrick at missouristate.edu

> http://missouristate.edu/atc

Alexa Schriempf, PhD