[Athen] TEACH

Karen Sorensen karen.sorensen at pcc.edu
Tue Sep 16 14:11:38 PDT 2014

Hi Ron, Terrill, Greg, Sean, and ATHENites,
I've wondered since I first heard about TEACH from the NFB, why educators
and administrators of higher ed weren't involved.(For one, we would have
told them that there's already a TEACH act regarding copyright, frequently
cited in distance learning and higher ed.) I am also highly suspicious when
publishers are involved, but we who are legally required to provide an
accessible learning experience are not. HEA and the ADA proposed amendment
at least asked for our input.
And what about the ADA web accessibility proposed amendment? Is that ever
going to happen? How does it play into all of this?
Here at PCC, we have started requiring an Equally Effective Access Plan for
any online course that uses inaccessible 3rd party (often publisher)
content. I ask the product reps to work with the instructor to come up with
equally effective, accessible options that can be put into place
immediately when they are needed. I want the product rep to be involved in
the solution. And I consider their willingness to implement or help
implement a solution in my assessment of the overall accessibility of the
product. They need to help us solve the problem they create for us.
IMHO,
Karen

Karen M. Sorensen
www.pcc.edu/access
Portland Community College
971-722-4720
*"The power of the Web is in its universality. Access by everyone
regardless of disability is an essential aspect.”* Tim Berners-Lee