[Athen] Pearson Mastering (Chemistry) & Dragon Dictate 4 for Mac extension conflicts

Todd Schwanke tschwanke at studentlife.wisc.edu
Wed Sep 24 11:07:23 PDT 2014

ATHEN:

Checking to see if anyone else is also experiencing conflicts between the Dragon Dictate 4 extensions for Safari/Firefox and Pearson's Mastering Chemistry (or similar Pearson products). And if so, have found fixes or a work around?

It does not happen 100% of the time, but what we have experienced is that when these extensions are enabled that the equation toolbar for each problem does not appear/load and you cannot use the mouse to click into the text fields where you put the answers. Inactivating the extensions and reloading the pages fixes the problems right away without restarting the browser. Clearing the cache in Firefox seems to very temporarily remedy the problem. With the extensions turned off you can still do some dictation into the application, but you lose the ability to navigate pages by "Show Links" or the names of the links. I have not had a chance to test whether the same types of issues occur with Naturally Speaking.

Thanks,

Todd Schwanke

McBurney Disability Resource Center

UW-Madison