[Athen] feedback on alt text language for Word table

Lisa Brandt lisa.brandt1 at pcc.edu
Fri Aug 21 10:41:34 PDT 2015

For this kind of thing, I usually try to make it a little less wordy (ha
ha). I think you can relay the same information but make it more compact,
like so:

Alt text: "Table with 4 columns, 2 header rows, and 7 data rows. First
header row: first two columns blank; header 'Data Source' spans last two
columns. Second data row: Rank, Manufacturer, Data Source - Gartner, Data
Source - International Data Corporation (IDC)."

I try to make things as compact as possible and get the meat of it up
front, since anyone using a screen reader would likely be skipping to the
next thing as soon as they hear enough to know if it's something they want
to read in detail. But people who actually have to read the stuff might
have a different opinion than I do (smiley face).

If I were doing this as a description rather than alt text, I might
present it in more of a hierarchical outline rather than adhering to the
format of the table.

Lisa

--
Lisa Brandt, PCC Disability Services