[Athen] First born-accessible digital astronomy textbook

Ron ronrstewart at gmail.com
Thu Feb 12 08:12:25 PST 2015

Our friends at SAS have set the bar for fully accessible STEM materials.

We released this book last fall, but I don’t think I ever sent an fyi to
this group. We used every trick in the book (so to speak) to make the
images in the book accessible to all students. The strategies include read
aloud, sonification, audio-embossing, tactile overlays, and 3d models.
These strategies were employed on a scatter plot, line chart, bar chart,
images from the Hubble Space Telescope, and many other conceptual
illustrations.

Check out the three minute promo video here:

Reach for the Stars: Touch, Look, Listen, Learn
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5uJVX4i1haU&list=PLVBcK_IpFVi9kCxPXz4dd1HO5x_yLLEHJ&index=7>

Other resources:

· Direct link to the free book in Apple’s iBooks® Store
<https://itunes.apple.com/us/book/reach-for-stars-touch-look/id763516126?mt=11?>

· Ttactile overlays available from National Braille Press
<http://www.nbp.org/ic/nbp/REACHSTARS.html>

· 3d models of the Hubble and James Webb Space Telescopes that can
be printed it on a 3d printer
<http://www.thingiverse.com/SASInstituteInc/designs>

· Teacher support page
<https://www.sascurriculumpathways.com/astronomy>

· Tutorial video for Teachers of the Visually Impaired
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-AheMP0oS2A&feature=youtu.be>

Best,

Ed

--

Ed Summers

Senior Manager, Accessibility and Applied Assistive Technology

Got data? Get SAS … THE POWER TO KNOW

www.sas.com/accessibility

ed.summers at sas.com <javascript:_e(%7B%7D,'cvml','ed.summers at sas.com');>

www.linkedin.com/in/edsummersnc