[Athen] Harvard and M.I.T. Sued Over Failing to Caption Online Courses (NYTimes Feb12 2015)

Susan Gjolmesli susan.gjolmesli at bellevuecollege.edu
Fri Feb 13 14:13:41 PST 2015

Here, here, Sheryl. As I read that I could not help but shake my head.

I had a Deaf student enroll in a on line class last academic year in which there were over 20 videos which were uncaptioned. The instructor was not about to take responsibility for that. I was befuddled...huh? The law was promulgated in 1992.... Do faculty actually think they won't ever have Deaf students in their classes?

Do administrators think the DOJ may change the law? Hardly - case law the past two years has been extremely clear.

Susan Gjolmesli, Director
Disability Resource Center, B132
Phone: (425) 564-2498
http://www.bellevuecollege.edu/drc/

This email and any files transmitted may contain confidential information as protected by the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA), 20 USC § 1232g and/or Electronic Communications Privacy Act, 18 U.S.C. § 2510-2521. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, or distribution is prohibited. Furthermore, if you are not the intended recipient, please notify me immediately by telephone or return e-mail and completely delete this message from your system.