[Athen] Blackboard Collaborate and JAWS?

Teresa Haven Teresa.Haven at nau.edu
Wed Feb 18 13:18:54 PST 2015

Hi, Todd. I had to research this a few months ago, and it's not as straightforward as we might hope. A JAWS user can get fairly decent access to Collaborate, BUT the user has to make sure of a few things or the two programs won't play together at all:

1) Find out what bit version of Windows is in use - 32 or 64.

2) Make sure that JAWS is the same bit version as Windows.

3) Make sure that Java is the same bit version as Windows, is up to date, and Java Access Bridge is installed.
If all 3 products are running the same bit version, there's a decent chance that the user will be able to at least participate in the Collaborate session, even if he or she doesn't have complete control of the Collaborate environment. If any of the products are a mismatch, JAWS will stop talking when you enter the Collaborate session, so I advise some advance testing. I was finally able to get it to work, but it took me several checks of my product versions and a few reboots before they all started playing together.

Hope this helps,
Teresa

Teresa Haven, Ph.D.
Accessibility Analyst, Northern Arizona University
Co-Chair, AHEAD Standing Committee on Technology