[Athen] ? resource people/info on physics lab accessibility?? Please?

Linda Petty linda.petty at utoronto.ca
Wed Jan 7 09:00:31 PST 2015

Hi!
Our department is working with a first year student at the Univ. of Toronto, who is blind and uses Linux and Windows on a PC, accessed with ORCCA and NVDA respectively, as well as a Braille display. We have been working successfully this fall with use of NVDA and LaTeX for access to computer science course material, as well as a PIAF for creating tactile graphics of tutorial images. The student has also been taking physics, with lab partners to read out relevant data from experiments, and working with a physics lab technician and myself on finding ways of accessing the information from the various data measuring devices directly.

Next year, the student will need to be able to access all of the information independently, instead of through lab partners. While this can be accommodated with a sited lab partner, we are looking to purchase tools or accessible interfaces or equipment so that the student can do this independently.

Rather than send the complete list of equipment to the whole list, is there anyone has worked through these issues already, or can connect me to someone who works professionally in physics, using accessible equipment? If you could email me, off list, at linda.petty at utoronto.ca, or email the list if it's good general resources or info for everyone, I'd appreciate it.
Thank you!

Linda Petty, O.T. Reg. (Ont.)
Assistive Technology Consultant
AccessAbility Services
a division of Student Affairs

UNIVERSITY OF TORONTO SCARBOROUGH
Science Wing, Room SW302G
1265 Military Trail, Toronto, Ontario  M1C 1A4
Direct Line: 416-208-5144
Tel/TTY (appointments): 416-287-7560
Fax: 416-287-7334
www.utsc.utoronto.ca/ability

Tomorrow is created here.
This electronic message and all contents contain information that may be privileged, confidential or otherwise protected from disclosure. The information is intended for the addressee(s) only. If you are not an addressee, any disclosure, copy, distribution or use of the contents of this message is prohibited. If you have received this electronic message in error, please notify the sender by reply e-mail and destroy the original message and all copies.