[Athen] ALEKS Accessibility

Howard Kramer hkramer at colorado.edu
Wed Jan 14 17:56:31 PST 2015

Hello All:

It doesn't look like anyone replied to this question on ALEKS accessibility
updates. Does anyone have any updated information? Is there any work being
undertaken to make the graphical elements of the placement exam accessible
through long descriptions or tactile graphics?

I'm also told there are no alternative accessible products to ALEKS. Is
this true?

I'm now working with the accessibility and remediation committees on our
campus that were formed in response to UCB's OCR complaint, hence my
interest.

Thanks in advance for any info.

Regards,
Howard

On Mon, Dec 1, 2014 at 8:43 AM, McGinnity, Julie A. (MU-Student) <
jamzk7 at mail.missouri.edu> wrote:

> Good morning,

> We are investigating the current state of ALEKS accessibility. I read up

> on ATHEN posts from last year, and they were helpful. But now I am curious

> to know the outcome of the graphing issue. Is the company still not

> providing tactile graphs? Is ALEKS accessible with the latest versions of

> screen readers? I have never used it myself but was led to believe that

> ALEKS was not fully accessible in the past. Any information you can

> provide would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Howard Kramer
CO-PI - UDUC
*Promoting the Integration of Universal Design into University Curricula*
(UDUC)
Lecturer, Cont. Ed - Evening & Cred Admin
303-492-8672
cell: 720-351-8668