[Athen] Chinese characters/language

Howard Kramer hkramer at colorado.edu
Wed Jan 28 20:22:20 PST 2015

Wink, Susan,

This may be a question most in your areas of expertise. How difficult is it
to present Chinese text (don't ask me which dialect - it's all Greek to me)
on a web page that can be read by a screenreader? I've been evaluating some
language placement exams here at UCB. The Spanish, French and German were
rendered with "real" (i.e. ascii) text - as I would have expected. Even the
Russian exam used ascii characters. The Chinese was rendered with graphics.
Are there no ascii codes for Chinese?

Thanks,
Howard

--