[Athen] Chinese characters/language

Patrick Burke burke at ucla.edu
Thu Jan 29 09:01:50 PST 2015

Hi Howard & All,

A few small things to add:

Screen reader support for Asian languages seems to be slowly improving.:

NVDA:

The NVDA developers have spent significant time
working on support for Chinese (received an award
from an organization in Taiwan back in 2012,
etc.) It looks like there are add-ons out there
to add other speech synths, etc. So that may be a
promising direction to investigate.

For the record, one of our students is a native
Korean speaker, & she says she hates the
"British" pronunciation of NVDA when reading
Korean (i.e., the default ESpeak synthesizer).

Jaws:

There are localized versions of Jaws sold in Hong
Kong, Japan, etc. I've had a hard time finding
details about these in English. I haven't
inquired about this with Freedom Sci. in recent
years, so they may have more info.

VoiceOver:

Again fwiw, but a friend who is a native Japanese
speaker is very pleased with the speech feedback,
& even the keyboard input support of VoiceOver on
the iPhone. This is just for personal use, not in
an academic context. Still it could be worth
exploring the Chinese speech options in iOS
(would probably have the best quality voices), if you have iOS devices handy.

All these presuppose that the text is available
in the right Unicode format, as Teresa says.

HTH!
Patrick

--
Patrick J. Burke