[Athen] 64-bit and AT

Dan Comden danc at uw.edu
Thu Jan 29 14:02:19 PST 2015

I'm in agreement with Ron and Al. I'll add the following:

* Avoid Windows 8. Get Windows 7 and keep it until 10 is out and running
for six months.
* Make sure your current devices support 64 bit and have appropriate
drivers. Some high ticket items like braille displays DO NOT. (I'm looking
at you, Alva)
* Really old apps (like from days of Win2K and older) are unlikely to run
even in compatibility mode. Have a plan to replace their functionality if
they're still important.

-*- Dan

On Thu, Jan 29, 2015 at 12:34 PM, Gaeir Dietrich <gdietrich at htctu.net>
wrote:

> Hi all!

> We are getting ready to install a new Windows OS in our lab and are

> debating the pros and cons of 32-bit vs 64-bit. Any feedback on issues with

> AT if we go to 64-bit? We will be using the current versions of the

> programs. Thanks!

> Gaeir (rhymes with "fire") Dietrich

> 408-996-6047 or 408-996-4636

-*- Dan Comden danc at uw.edu <danc at washington.edu>
Access Technology Center www.uw.edu/itconnect/accessibility/atl/
University of Washington UW Information Technology