[Athen] Automated Server for OCR of Inaccessible PDF Files

Wink Harner foreigntype at gmail.com
Mon Jul 20 11:53:51 PDT 2015

Hi all ATHENites,

Adding my 50 cent piece to the discussion: remember that Sensus Access, as
well as the AbbyyFineReader on-the-fly OCR conversion is for individuals
who need to have something (personal) converted on the fly, after hours and
so on. SA is not set up for large volume page (or whole book) conversion.
Neither is promoted as a substitute for the DR office alt text conversion
responsibilities by putting all of the conversion back on the students. The
AFR site license could be used by DR alt text employees working off-site
and logging in through an open portal to provide greater flexibility in
student worker hours and production management.

That said, both offer reasonably good OCR recognition and quick turnaround
for on-the-fly text-to-speech or quick Braille conversions. Giving the
students an additional tool to add to their access is a good thing for
everyone concerned.

Wink Harner
Accessibility & Adaptive Technology Consultant
The Foreign Type