[Athen] Making Math Accessible in Word

Susan Kelmer Susan.Kelmer at colorado.edu
Tue Jun 16 14:21:26 PDT 2015

Good questions, Kim!

We produce a LOT of MathML here for two blind students in our computer science program. We create all of our math in MathType, and save as regular Word files. After that, we "LEAN" them using a product from John Gardner (at Viewplus Technologies). This software is free, and we found it saved us a ton of time in creating output that would actually work.

However, NVDA now natively supports the MathType that is in Word files, so we no longer LEAN files for the student who is using NVDA.

For the users of Jaws, a LEANed file will read equations. The alt tags are created when we apply the LEAN process to them. It isn't perfect, but it has worked really well and our students love it. You can email me off-list if you want more information.

Susan Kelmer
Alternate Format Access Coordinator
Disability Services
University of Colorado Boulder