[Athen] how many instructors are writing HTML for their courses?

Sebastian Kelle sebastian.kelle at acm.org
Mon Jun 22 21:53:20 PDT 2015

Hello from Europe (hence, the odd daytime of this email):
In our MOOC on accessibility, which is currently under heavy development,
we making use of a modified version of markdown syntax that's interpreted
by a custom-built LMS platform.
See https://help.github.com/articles/github-flavored-markdown/
also, moodle has it: https://docs.moodle.org/23/en/Markdown, although using
Moodle for MOOCs is not a good idea.

Although we're not exactly relying on people using this syntax, it helps
speed up the html creation quite a bit whenever someone submits plain text
or word doc - based content. Whoever of the content authors wants full
control can also directly submit "marked up markdown" content - it's quite
easy to learn. See for example, http://markdowntutorial.com/

Sebastian

On Tue, Jun 23, 2015 at 6:09 AM, Howard Kramer <hkramer at ahead.org> wrote:

> Thank you to everyone for your responses. It pretty much matches what I

> had thought but it's nice to have verification.

> -Howard

> On Mon, Jun 22, 2015 at 2:37 PM, <chenjiat at msu.edu> wrote:

>> Most faculty use the WYSIWYG editor to add pages and images.

>> A lot just upload Word, PDF, media, content packages (e.g., Camtasia,

>> Captivate).

>> Some hard core physics, comp sc, maths and econ professors would use

>> HTML, but mostly because they need to add scripts, embeds or equations.

>> --

>> Jiatyan Chen

>> Coordinator for Web Accessibility

>> IT Services

>> Michigan State University

>> +1 (517)-884-0666

>> On Monday, Jun 22, 2015 at 15:12, Howard Kramer <hkramer at ahead.org>,

>> wrote:

>>> Hello All:

>>> I'm working on putting together a syllabus for a short MOOC on inclusive

>>> instruction. One question that came up is whether faculty are creating

>>> their own HTML pages and therefore, should this topic be covered. My sense

>>> is that almost all course content is being created through LMS, Word, PPT

>>> and PDF documents and video. But I thought I'd see if anyone had a

>>> different take on this. Are there still a significant amount of instructors

>>> writing their own web pages?

>>> Thanks,

>>> Howard

>>> --