[Athen] Exam questions

Russell Solowoniuk SolowoniukR at macewan.ca
Thu Mar 5 14:23:31 PST 2015

Hi everyone,

Last week I emailed the list asking about a program that would pop up a reminder at intervals to remind students to save their exam when writing in WordPad. We've decided, as some of you suggested, that a popup would be distracting for students.

We would like to know how people handle exams where certain tools, such as spell check, grammar check or the thesaurus are not allowed. We do not wish to totally uninstall these tools, as some exams do not prohibit their use. We have been using WordPad, but, as I mentioned in my email last week, we are uncomfortable not having the auto-save feature of Microsoft Word.

So, a few questions...

1. Which word processor do your students use for writing exams?

2. If WordPad, how do you deal with the fact that there is no auto-save feature?

3. If MS Word, how do you turn off tools, like spell and grammar check or the thesaurus, and ensure students don't turn them back on again?

4. If we use MS Word, we will need to be able to easily, and quickly turn the spell and grammar check and thesaurus features on or off as necessary. Has anyone come up with a method to do this quickly?

We would appreciate any feedback you have.

Thanks,

Russell

Russell Solowoniuk
AT Educational Assistant, Services to Students with Disabilities
MacEwan University
7-198 D4, 10700-104 Ave.
Edmonton, AB T5J 4S2
E: solowoniukr at macewan.ca
T: 780-497-5826
F: 780-497-4018
macewan.ca
This communication is intended for the use of the recipient to whom it is addressed and may contain confidential, personal, and/or privileged information. Please contact me immediately if you are not the intended recipient of this communication, and do not copy, distribute, or take action relying on it. Any communication received in error, or subsequent reply, should be deleted or destroyed.