[Athen] some questions on Word accessibility and the built-in accessibility checker

Karlen Communications info at karlencommunications.com
Wed May 20 11:35:05 PDT 2015

Howard:

There is detailed information for both questions in the new tables and columns document at
http://karlencommunications.com/handouts.html

We use the Alt attribute for tables to provide structural info about the table such as this table spans two pages, has x columns and y rows, has merged or split cells...that type of information.

For captions on tables, use the caption tool...select the table to see this option in the context menu/right mouse click or AppKey.

Captions for tables optimize accessibility when they come before the table. They let someone with a learning, cognitive or visual disability know what type of information they will find in the table.

Hope this helps.

The handouts have samples of accessible and inaccessible content.

Cheers, Karen

Sent from my iPad